In the latest episode of the podcast we chat about the challenge of being a modern umpire – and how excess scrutiny and knee-jerk reactions from pundits have combined to create a toxic environment.
- The challenge for modern umpires – with ball-by-ball social media scrutiny
- How TV replays can fool us into thinking that umpiring is an easy task
- Has DRS accelerated the erosion of the umpire’s authority?
- The frequent grumbling around the soft-signal – is it even needed?
- The issue with Sachin Tendulkar’s reservation about umpire’s call
- The value of umpiring judgement, and why the on-field umpire’s decision is vital
- Ben Stokes’ misunderstanding of the soft-signal
- Do umpires’ performance change based on the match situation?
- Will cricket go the way of American football with video replays?
Siddhartha Vaidyanathan (@sidvee)
Mahesh Sethuraman (@cornerd)
- Why Does The Umpire Get To Decide? – Kartikeya Date – Cricketingview
- Television killed the umpiring star – Kartikeya Date – The Cricket Monthly
- On Umpire’s Call – Kartikeya Date – Cricketingview
- The new lbw rule in DRS – Kartikeya Date – Cricketingview
- A Conversation with Warren Brennan About Hotspot, RTS and other Technology in Cricket – Cricketingview podcast
- The DRS and Technology in Cricket – Channel 7 video
- Accepting the umpire’s decision has become a date concept – Gideon Haigh – Twitter
- Simon Taufel podcast – Subash Jayaraman – Couchtalk
Lead image from here.