Our special guest this week is Hassan Cheema, the strategy manager at Islamabad United – the Pakistan Super League champions in 2016 and 2018.
Hassan talks about the rapidly evolving T20 format and gives us a peek into what franchises are doing to stay ahead of the curve. Having observed some of the top T20 players first-hand, Hassan brings forth the complexities of the game and the challenges involved in managing a team.
- How West Indies revolutionized the approach to T20s
- The overwhelming importance of the toss
- Measures used to judge a T20 batsman
- The flexible batting order and how best to use an anchor
- Unlearning the lessons from red ball cricket
- Retiring out batsmen and tactical drops
- What constitutes a good over in T20?
- Tactics v execution: the tightrope walk
- How one builds a player’s trust and the need to go beyond cricket
- The unquantifiable value of some fielders
- The grammar of T20 and what TV can do better
Hassan Cheema (@mediagag)
Siddhartha Vaidyanathan (@sidvee)
The flexible team – Tim Wigmore – The Cricket Monthly
How to watch a T20 game – Sidharth Monga – ESPNcricinfo
Cricket 2.0: Inside the T20 Revolution – Tim Wigmore and Freddie Wilde – Amazon.com
‘If you go searching for wickets in T20, you’re playing into the batsman’s hand’ – Samuel Badree interview – The Cricket Monthly
What’s the deal with T20 batting? – 81allout podcast
T20 openers are more conservative than they need to be – Kartikeya Date – ESPNcricinfo
Is a single in T20 the same as a dot ball in ODIs? – Kartikeya Date – ESPNcricinfo